Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2012 02:00:15 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        david coder <dacoder@dcoder.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: firefox & png

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 19:43:55 -0400, david coder wrote:
> thx, i hadn't seen the reply to my earlier message.
>
> unfortunately, though i've got the png port installed w/
>
> 	OPTIONS=        APNG "Animated PNG support" On

That should be the default. Anyway, you can always check which
options had been in use when building and installing a port:

	% cat /var/db/ports/png/options
	# This file is auto-generated by 'make config'.
	# No user-servicable parts inside!
	# Options for png-1.4.8
	_OPTIONS_READ=png-1.4.8
	WITH_APNG=true

In this example you can see that it has been properly installed.

> the install of freebsd fails w/ the error message given below.

Sadly the Firefox build error message is not included.

> is there something else required in the png makefile or elsewhere that i'm
> missing?

I'm sure this entry of /usr/ports/UPDATING applies:

20120531:
  AFFECTS: users of graphics/png
  AUTHOR: dinoex@FreeBSD.org

  The PNG library has been updated to version 1.5.10.  Please rebuild all
  ports that depend on it.

  If you use portmaster:
        portmaster -r png-
  If you use portupgrade:
        portupgrade -fr graphics/png

It's easy to do so as the required commands are provided. Make
sure your ports tree is up to date and follow the advice to
install all ports depending on the _latest_ libpng (which you
seem to have installed, as you confirmed).

> some writers have insisted that a recent install of the os is also needed,
> but that is also a non-issue for my boxes:  they're up to date.

That is only needed when a 3rd party program or library requires
a newer OS version. The OS itself does not provide a PNG library.
If such a requirement is present, ports usually refuse to build
on older systems (the Makefile refuses to continue working if the
minimum OS version is not met). Such a change in a port will
definitely be mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING, a file worth
checking whenever dealing with updates as it often contains
important information regarding such changes.

> installing firefox is not as urgent for me since chrome is adequate for most
> purposes, but still...

I also have Firefox installed here, even though it's not up to
date, perfectly fitting the system's outdatedness. :-) I had
no problems installing it. Examining the Makefile of Firefox
(/usr/ports/www/firefox/Makefile) I don't see anything that
mentions libpng or animated PNG support. Maybe this is a
dependency of a dependency of Firefox?

Again, this seems to match the entry of /usr/ports/UPDATING.
It does _not_ require you to reinstall your OS. Where would
we be if every little package addition would force the OS to
be reinstalled... :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany