Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 23:20:05 -0800 (PST)
From:      seraf@2600.com
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   bin/22954: cron isn't daylight savings-aware

>Number:         22954
>Category:       bin
>Synopsis:       cron isn't daylight savings-aware
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
cron(8) doesn't seem to be aware of time zones like PST8PDT which occasionally shift forward or backward by an hour for American "Daylight Savings."  The result is cron jobs being skipped over, or running twice.  This is a really old problem, IIRC.
>How-To-Repeat:
Schedule a cron job which runs within the hour following the pre-shift time of the 1hr-forward-shift (it will never run), or one which runs without the hour preceding the post-shift time of the 1hr-back-shift (it will run twice).  I *think* I have this right.  It's confusing, isn't it?!
>Fix:
Interim solution: Run the affected system in UTC time, or another time zone with an absolute relationship to UTC.
Permanent solution: Make cron use UTC time, or munge cron's understanding of time, or petition the US government to abolish Daylight Savings!