Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 17:24:09 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Donations.

> My gut-level reaction to the donation is that you give the donater the
> ability to give the developers a 'hint' at what they'd like, with the

How is this any different than people being able to give us hints
(via the mailing lists) now?  Or are you asking for a comment field
specifically on the donation card, or something?

I probably won't actually be *doing* donation cards as such in any
case since they're something of a pain and don't really return much
(Rich Morin of Prime Time Freeware did this on behalf of the FSF and
got something like 2 donations for every 1000 cards sent out).

> understanding that it's only a hint.  The PBS station does this, and the
> way it works is that if you're happy with how your money is spent, you

Sort of - the PBS stations around here just hold telethons and take
your money, then you find out whether you liked what they did with it
when you watch the station for the next year; I've never been able to
influence their programming schedule in any way that I can see, despite
being a frequent donor to KQED. :)

					Jordan