Date:      Sun, 9 Dec 2012 14:41:37 -0800
From:      Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
To:        Brett Glass <brett@lariat.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Dimitry Andric <dim@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Will we get a RELEASE-9.1 for Christmas?

Hi,

It's definitely not targeted at you. The 9.1 stuff is an intersection of:

* personal issues with some of the people involved (ie, "real life got
to them and that took precedence");
* the security incident;
* the freebsd cluster shuffling and reshuffling that was going on at
the same time

>From my understanding there's enough hardware. Definitely not a
hardware specific problem. The foundation funds and provides plenty of
hardware, as well as yahoo and a few other companies. I don't think
we're short of i386/amd64 hardware.

It's honestly just an intersection of bad timing. Since it's a
volunteer project, it's on the timelines of the volunteers in
question.

I think people are right though when they comment on the lack of
communication from the project about this. See the list of things
above to understand why communication may not have been terribly
great. :-)

I'll amend my "stuff that will help" list:

* Donate to the freebsd foundation, along with opening discussions to
them about how your organisation uses / relies upon freebsd;
* Volunteer to join the release engineering / package building teams,
and actively donate manpower to the project.

Adrian