Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 11:37:14 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru (=?KOI8-R?B?4c7E0sXKIP7F0s7P1w==?=)
Cc:        dstenn@fanfic.org, current@FreeBSD.ORG, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it (Luigi Rizzo)
Subject:   PnP code (was: Re: SB AWE64 support)

> > > Yes, it helps! Could we do it by default somehow?
> >
> > if you have updated /sbin/dset, the info is stored permanently in your
> > kernel.
>
> I know, I mean not me but mass user. SB32 is too common card to worth to
> do some tricks (like this) durectly in the driver without any special
> attention from the user.

if you want PnP in -stable, that is what I just asked to jordan, and
will probably happen soon. The code is already in -current, Jordan has
agreed, si I am just waiting for a committer to do the job (jmg did the
original inclusion in -current so he is familiar with the code).

If you want PnP support in the guspnp driver, either you do it or ask
someone -- it should be relatively simple if you look at how I do in my
driver.

BUT: if you want the kernel to override and PnP configuration set (or
not set) by the bios, which is what "os enable" does, that should never
happen, at least not in the driver.

We can write extensive documentation on how to use the _manual_
PnP configuration features, perhaps imrove the user interface so
one does not have to use criptic numbers but more significant names,
but that's about it.

If any of you is aware of how other OS (e.g. Linux, BSDI) deal with PnP
we can perhaps borrow some idea or even code ?

	Cheers
	Luigi