Date:      Wed, 26 Jul 1995 05:09:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        tweten@frihet.com
Cc:        sef@kithrup.com, security@freebsd.org, mark@grondar.za, pst@stupi.se
Subject:   Re: secure/ changes...

> Sean Eric Fagan writes:
> > You can import as much encryption software as you want, *PROVIDED* it wasn't
> > illegal exported.  (I don't understand why that is the case.)
>
> Another interresting assertion.  If true, all the people who download their
> copies of MIT PGP from off-shore are in violation.  That prospect doesn't seem
> to worry any of the scores of people who post to alt.security.pgp about their
> adventures doing so.  As with Rod's import assertion, yours is the first
> assertion I've seen that there is any dependency on kind of previous export.
>
> The only restriction on import I'm aware of is a requirement to license
> transit importation.  That is, munitions can't be trans-shipped through U.S.
> territory without a license.  The problem, of course, is not really the
> import half of the transaction, it is the export half.

And any US import involves an _export_ from some other country, so you have
to look at that as well.  The US is far from the only country with crypto
sofware as a restricted export.

> I'd appreciate it if you could recheck your verification and report back to
> the list.  It is important that we U.S. citizens not scare ourselves into
> believing that our government is more repressive than it actually is.

The US government is a very repressive thing, more so than even I care to
admit to.

Anything that burns up millons of dollars a day regulating people has
just gotten out of hand, but this is a whole nother thread.