Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2002 15:31:27 -0800
From:      Dave Hayes <dave@jetcafe.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Harry Tabak <htabak@quadtelecom.com>, dever@getaclue.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bystander shot by a spam filter.

Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
> Dave Hayes wrote:
>> Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com> writes:
>> > Yes, if you could stand the company you'd be keeping...
>>
>> Oh, Hi Terry! Listen, you know we are just going to go back and forth
>> until I start arguing the benefits of irrationality...so can we save
>> time and just start there?
>>
>> ;)
> Why don't we start with your response to my other message,
> about systems engineering and emergent a complex behaviours
> that result from simple rule sets?

Because the assumptions you call "systems engineering" and "emergent
behaviors" may not apply when dealing with a large space of humanity.
We are still stuck there, at the very least you and I disagree about
the amount of applicability these have.

> Personally, I'd like to argue about raising the cost of the
> sending of repeat SPAM, while leaving the cost of sending
> non-SPAM and/or initial SPAM, fixed.

I'd actually agree with you there. In fact, this is programmed into my
mail filters. If you send the exact same message (same meaning "MD5
checksum") to my mail filters, it only lets the first one through.

Of course this is trivial to defeat.

> Are you arguing by omission that it's impossible to design
> such a system?  If so, how do you address my example of the
> inability of people to deny the existance of gravity and
> inertia?

Your analogy is arbitrary. People -do- deny the existence of both
those forces. Whether they are "right" or not depends on the circle
of people they are addressing. I certainly wouldn't address a PhD in
physics with this denial, but I might address a group of new age
"spiritual" people that way.
------
Dave Hayes - Consultant - Altadena CA, USA - dave@jetcafe.org

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the
unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to
himself.  Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable
man.