Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 14:09:28 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Ted Spradley <tsprad@set.spradley.tmi.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DPT in GENERIC

On 10-Mar-98 Ted Spradley wrote:
>> Is there any objection for the DPT driver being added to the GENERIC
>> kernel
>> configuration and thus being available on the standard boot floppy?
>
> I don't have any objection to the DPT driver in GENERIC if it doesn't
> break
> anything else, but I do object to this:
>>
>> ``I do not know what/do not have a DPT controller'' is not a valid
>> objection.
>
> The reason I object is this:
>>
>> The DPT driver allows FreeBSD users the use of a family of SCSI RAID
>> controllers which are typically used in high end servers.  For details
>                                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> I'd bet that folks who've got these DPT things don't often run GENERIC
> kernels
> on their high-end servers, and probably don't have too much trouble
> getting
> FreeBSD installed on those high-end servers even though the GENERIC
> kernel
> lacks a driver they need.  The GENERIC kernel has to fit on the boot
> floppy
> that's used to do an initial installation on a machine that's the only
> computer in the building, and not connected to any network.  As long as
> adding
> the DPT driver doesn't adversely effect that, then fine, add it.

Even very high-end servers have to install from something.  In FreeBSD,
this something is the boot floppy made with the GENERIC kenrel.
So, it is needed for them rich people too :-)

Yes, the driver fits on a boot floppy.  I know that.  Adding it is not
breaking anything else I know of.  there is well over a year behind this
driver.

BTW, there are inexpensive DPT controleers.  I think you can get a PCI one
for about $275.00 or less.  Yes, same exact driver code for all of them.
ISA, EISA, PCI.  No ISA probing support yet...