Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:01:49 GMT
From:      Matt Mills<matt_mills@btopenworld.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/104719: Seagate ST3802110A errors/delays when using PIO4 or UDMA33

>Number:         104719
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Seagate ST3802110A errors/delays when using PIO4 or UDMA33
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
This is tested on both 6.1-STABLE and 6.2-PRERELEASE.

I installed a brand new ST3802110A hard drive and moved an existing installation onto it. The motherboard is an HP Asus CUR-DLS with dual P3 933 and SMP enabled:

acpi0: <HP HWPC20F>
atapci1: <ServerWorks ROSB4 UDMA33 controller>
ad0: 76319MB <Seagate ST3802110A 3.AAJ>

When the drive was running at UDMA33, almost every time I entered a command and hit enter there was a delay and a distinctive humming sound before the command was processed. It sounded almost like the drive kept powering down until it was accessed and then powered up again. I tried a few disk intensive commands like pkgversion, portsclean and kernel compilation which worked fine, but again, shortly after completion you would hear the drive hum quieten. I also saw a couple of READ/WRITE_DMA errors but I do not have these available any longer.

I tried disabling DMA which forced back to PIO4 mode. This resulted in a very occasional:

kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - WRITE_MUL retrying (1 retry left) LBA=4615355
kernel: ad0: TIMEOUT - READ_MUL retrying (1 retry left) LBA=83786751

Even during times of relative inactivity. At one stage (when running at PIO4) I returned to the computer and it had completely locked up, so I had to physically power down.

I tried disabling ACPI and even APIC to no avail.
>How-To-Repeat:
Presumably you could repeat this by running 6.1-STABLE or 6.2-PRERELEASE on a Seagate ST3802110A connected to an onboard IDE connector of an HP Asus CUR-DLS motherboard.
>Fix:
I installed a PCI IDE ATA100 controller and connected the problematic drive:

atapci0: <CMD 649 UDMA100 controller>

The hums and associated delays have now disappeared and 48+ hours have passed without a problem. Furthermore, the drive is now running at the intended UDMA100 and performing well.

More details can be provided if necessary, though I would rather perform as little reproduction as possible since uptime of the machine is quite critical.