Date:      Mon, 05 Oct 1998 13:33:54 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@dal.net>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First commands

I'm in general agreement with your post, just a few comments.

David Wolfskill wrote:

> "sed" is also something I find critical

	Me too, but the learning curve for anything beyond very simple
replacements is huge which is why I wouldn't include it in a list for
new users. I'd place this in the "intermediate" category, to be learned
after or concurrent with regular expressions.

> One I was surprised to see on the list is "locate" -- I don't think
> I'd ever heard of it; I'm fairly certain I've never used it.  (Just
> checked a Solaris 2.5 system; no such command.  Maybe "locate" is
> FreeBSD (or 4.4 BSD) -specific?)

	Locate is your friend! It's extremely useful if you often have to hunt
for things on the disk (as new users often do). It's also very useful in
a situation where more than one person is administrating a machine and
they have... differing admin styles.  *grumble grumble.. where did he
put that file THIS week? grumble* And yes, it's a BSD'ism, one that I
sorely miss on the solaris boxes that I do a lot of work on. :-/

Doug
--
***           Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network          ***

    Go PADRES!