Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 07:48:50 +1000
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        ada@bsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?

On Sun, Jun 21, 1998 at 07:36:10PM +1000, Ada wrote:
> > Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 01:00:14 +1000
> > From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
> > Subject: Re: 2.2.6 CD-ROM : Package dependencies up the creek ?
>
> > On Tue, Jun 16, 1998 at 04:20:51AM -0400, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
> > > Some packages are useful to have right away.  I've done nearly a dozen
> > > reinstalls in the past few days.  The first time I installed every
> > > package which looked remotely interesting, and in hindsight thought
> > > that was stupid.  However, in a later install I installed *none* of
> > > the packages, and immediately regretted that decision too.  I wanted
> > > to create initial accounts with a bash shell, for instance, but that
> > > doesn't work great if you didn't install bash.  And the first thing
> > > after rebooting I ftp a tar-file of various scripts I'm used to using,
> > > but some of them don't work because I don't have perl5 installed yet.
>
> Create a port, and in it have dependencies to things like bash and perl5
> .  then, when you've installed, just do

Actually.... I've been doing some work on the idea of a package for
newbies who wouldn't have a clue what to pick. Not everyone's cup of tea
but better than no idea at all. The package would simply install about 8
other packages, make sure the FAQ, Handbook and man pages are there, plus
Annelise's beginners tutorial, the vi tutorial package, a unix tutorial,
lynx with a default start page that links to various kinds of
documentation and sources of help, some heavily annotated configuration
files (e.g. .bash_profile, .bashrc, .lynxrc, etc), and a brief docco
saying what was installed what they do and where to read more about them
(e.g. 'man vi' but 'info mtools' and just 'unzip').

Since at this stage I'm rather vague about shell scripts let alone
packages, and I've seen several others come up with related ideas, this
will proceed on the basis of "if nobody else does something similar
before I learn how to do it".

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-