Date:      Fri, 29 Jul 2005 06:08:34 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Paul Schmehl <pauls@utdallas.edu>, freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   itcl and iwidgets (was Re: Question about maintainers)

Hi Paul;

AFAIK I submitted the last itcl/itk update. One reason why your new port
doesn't work may be because iwidgets hasn't been updated (it's not an easy
task). There is more information on the PR for itcl and in a thread on -ports,
but it all sums up to itcl/itk ports being ill conceived (hacked).

After looking at NetBSD's pkgsrc and Darwin ports I got to the conclusion that
we need a new itcl-devel port that grabs the latest bits (containing both itcl
and itk) from the CVS; that way an updated iwidgets port can find a consistent
itcl tree and configure properly. I just never found the time to fix itcl
properly so for the time being I only cleaned some of the hacks we had been
using for years.

hope that helps,

    Pedro.

Yahoo! Messenger: chiamate gratuite in tutto il mondo
http://it.beta.messenger.yahoo.com