Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 20:58:00 +0000 ()
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@jsdinc.root.com>
To:        cs.weber.edu!terry@implode.root.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        toor@Root.COM, star-gate.com!hasty@implode.root.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Why IDE is bad

> What do you mean "async mounts"?
>
> Since kernel entry via system call is atomic unless you have SMP
> or multithreading to support multiple kernel thread contexts, it
> really can't be anything but synchronous.
>
> A UFS mount in the kernel goes to the device, reads the volume
> header and superblock into core, gets a vnode for inode 2, and
> arranges to have references to the vnode in the file system it
> is mounted into return vnode 2 of the mounted fs.  Then it
> returns from the mount call.
>
> This is synchronous, but it is also guaranteed to be deterministically
> quick, by definition.
>
> Am I missing something about what you mean when you say "async mounts"?

You are missing my point (listen to what I mean, not what I say :-)).  What
I meant was that the async option is essentially ignored.  In essence, the
UFS does not act differently whether or not the async option is specified.

Hmm, true async mounts -- better hold up V2.1, sounds like a neat feature :-).
(PLEASE DONT TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY).

John
dyson@root.com