Date:      Mon, 07 Jun 1999 00:33:29 -0400
From:      "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>
To:        Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino <itojun@itojun.org>
Cc:        "David E. Cross" <crossd@cs.rpi.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Subject:   Re: wide char support

> 	There are several Japanese people working on stateful multibyte char
> 	support.  Existing codebase like glibc only supports stateless
> 	multibyte char.  People using iso-2022 variants (Japan, Korea,
> 	China, you name it) need stateful multibyte char support.
> 	We have some code fragment used in various software packages
> 	like multilingual vi or multilingual schedule management tool, and
> 	we would like to clean up those to fit into src/lib/whatever.
> 	I'll be talking about this issue a bit in my presentation at Usenix/
> 	Freenix99 (titled "multilingual vi") so come to presentation
> 	room or catch me somewhere in the conference site.
>
> 	(again, there's language barrier problem...  I think we should sort
> 	it out.  I believe the best way is to ban Japanese-language mailing
> 	list for the project, but other volunteers may have some trouble)

Alas I will not be at Usenix.  I do hope to be able to attend FreeBSDcon'99.

I think both of our work is valuable.  We need both statefull and stateless
I18N support; because there is source that uses both.  Language has been
a problem, but it is good to see we have some liasons bridging that gap to
keep us from replicating efforts and stepping on toes and emotions.

--
David Cross                               | email: crossd@cs.rpi.edu
Systems Administrator/Research Programmer | Web: http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~crossd