Date:      Thu, 01 Feb 2001 21:32:06 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
Cc:        uid0@catastrophe.net, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Adaptec Controller (subtitled: best bang for buck?)

> > > I was hoping to get some insight on the Adaptec 2100S controller; have
> > > there been any pitfalls or perils that anyone has run into in setting
> > > this up with 5-6 36GB 10K drives?
> > >
> > > I'm looking to put up a box with hardware level RAID5 or possible
> > > RAID5+1. Is it smart to boot from a RAID device? The last time I
> > > looked at this was about two years ago and things seemed a bit "iffy".
>
> I was at LinuxWorld yesterday and I stopped by the 3ware booth. They told
> me they were going to announce Raid 5 for their controllers.
>
> Depending on needs this may be suitable for many people..

I would recommend against this; it's a "checkbox" option to satisfy
people that haven't done the math yet comparing ATA+RAID10 with
SCSI+RAID5 in 3ware's market segment.

> Mike, have you got that tested with FreeBSD yet?

I have not; I don't believe they're ready to release yet, and since
leaving BSDi I am no longer bound by NDA to 3ware, I can't really ask for
it.

> They told me it would be a free downloadable upgrade to all 6X00 cards.

I understand this is the case; since the CPU on the card is a 25MHz
16-bit part, don't expect performance to be startling unless they pull of
something amazing with the FPGAs.

> I asked them for the monitoring utility and the (most likely clueless rep)
> said that development of that utility had been transfered to the FreeBSD
> project. Is that the case?

No; it's still being developed in-house.  It's available for download
from my RAID page (http://people.freebsd.org/~msmith/RAID/index.html#3ware)
though.