Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2006 22:48:47 -0700
From:      soralx@cydem.org
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Quiet computer

> > http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/mainboards/mini_itx/vt_310dp/
> Ah, I must have missed that. Now I'm all excited :)

I wouldn't get too excited just now, but wait 'till VIA release something
similar, only with their newest, bestest, better-than-ever CPU cores :)
Check out the 'Processors' section of their site.

> Would you happen to know of anyone shipping systems with these boards?
> I can build one but it would be nice to pay someone else to do it
> instead :)

You mean, you have a job for fellow BSD'ers? ;) No, I don't know who
builds complete systems, but seems like this board is available on
an auction (eBay). And it is expensive (however, considering it's
got everything integrated, + some nice, original CPU features
which are quite useful for a server -- such as true RNG, and hw
crypto engine that can run at 25 Gbit/s (!) max -- not to bad, IMO).

If you want to run the chips at > ~1GHz, you either need to put
a bigger radiator (much bigger! 20W is no joke {2GHz VIA C7}) or
keep the fan. The Eden chips, which are on the dual-core board,
dissipate 7.5W max, so you also may need bigger heatsink, or
run them underclocked, or avoid 100% load (idle heat dissipation
is only 500mW -- unbelievable!).

I have not tested any VIA processors myself yet, and I'm waiting
for someone to try them out with FBSD and post results :p
I also heard rumors (can't remember on which maillist) that CPU's
RNG and crypto engine work with FreeBSD rather well...

[SorAlx]  ridin' VN1500-B2