Date:      Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:14:27 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        john <johng@musicman.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Drive Configuration Question

From: john <johng@musicman.com>
Subject: Drive Configuration Question
Date: Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 06:49:54PM -0400

> I have an Adaptec raid card with two Raid-I drives I'm trying to
> configure.  The machine is now booting from a third IDE drive, with
> FreeBSD version 4.2.
>
> I'm trying to address two problems:
>
> 1) The disk label editor will not allow me to set a mount point.  I've
> obviously left out a step, but I'm not sure what.
>
> 2) I can't mount the RAID drives, even though the label editor shows that
> they have FreeBSD installed on them.  I'm trying to mount da0 or some
> component of it, by saying "mount da0", "mount da0s1a" or some variation
> thereof.  It always says "unknown special file or file system".

You probably left out the newfs step that creates a valid filesystem
on the device.

> What should I do, where can I go for more info?

Post the exact steps you've taken on -questions (if you haven't already),
and mention the following three things:

a) What you are trying to do.
b) The exact steps you have taken so far.
c) What failed and how (a copy/paste of any error messages is nice here).

-giorgos