Date:      Fri, 8 Mar 2002 14:30:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/35686: blackhole(4) page seems to contradict itself in WARNING

The following reply was made to PR docs/35686; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Tom Rhodes <darklogik@pittgoth.com>
To: swear@blarg.net
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:36:05 -0500

 Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

 > The "warnings" section of the blackhole(4) man page has these two
 > statements:
 >
 >     In order to create a highly secure system, ipfw(8) should be used
 >     for protection, not the blackhole feature.
 >
 >     This mechanism is not a substitute for securing a system.  It should
 >     be used together with other security mechanisms.
 >
 > The first implies that blackhole shouldn't be used with, say, ipfw,
 > while the second implies that it should.  It needs clarification.

 I read over the ``manual page'' &Keramidas.use-manual-page.not-man-page;
 and I gather this as more a method for port scans.  Can this method be
 used WITH ipfw(8)?  If so, then wouldn't it be eaiser to use this feature.

 I do think you can use it like that, but i'm not sure... paragraph 1
 states that setting the value to 2 will drop connections on a closed
 port... makes me think that ipfw(8) could forward packets and this could
 be ran along side...  But with no experiance with blackhole(4) i'd
 rather hear another comment...

 --
 Tom (Darklogik) Rhodes
 www.Pittgoth.com Gothic Liberation Front