Date:      Fri, 01 Nov 1996 12:29:46 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Jeremy Sigmon <jsigmon@www.hsc.wvu.edu>
Cc:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>, Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /var/mail (was: re: Help, permission problems...)

>Also I saw a posting that said FreeBSD is installed on 1% or less of all Unix
>machines.  I look at it this way.  Someone has to be the top 1%.

   For what it's worth, the current estimates for FreeBSD use is around
100,000 machines. This is based on a variety of factors like CDROM sales
figures, number of downloads from certain archive machines, number of people
on the mailing lists, amount of email on those lists, Usenet newsgroup volume,
etc., etc., and scaled to other estimates for similar 'products' like Linux.
Linus recently estimated around 1/2 million copies of Linux installed, and
everything I've seen seems to indicate about 5:1 ratio of Linux to FreeBSD,
but this ratio is narrowing as the Linux 'market' becomes saturated.
   In any case, I think this is more than 1% of the Unix market.

-DG

David Greenman