Date:      Mon, 4 Aug 2003 20:20:04 +0930
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Dmitry Morozovsky <woozle@woozle.net>
Cc:        joerg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bootstrapping vinum root

--tpv1bmAa6gXA34MD

On Monday,  4 August 2003 at 14:26:53 +0400, Dmitry Morozovsky wrote:
> Well, colleagues, I'm stuck a bit.
>
> I tried many different ways to setup system with vinum root (the only
> reference I found yet besides old "bootstrapping vinum" article is Joerg's
> commit message: http://freebsd.rambler.ru/bsdmail/cvs-all_2003/msg01225.h=
tml

> I failed. I have 4-stable system set up at ad0, and tried to set up pair =
of
> drives for new system at ad2 and ad3 (actually, they will run as ad0 and =
ad2 on
> target system). What I did:
>
> - fdisk -BI ad2; fdisk -BI ad3
> - disklabel -Brw auto ad2s1; disklabel -Brw auto ad3s1
> - create ad[23]s1d for root, 128M+265s in size, type vinum
> - start vinum and create mroot mirror volume
> - dump'n'restored root partition there
> - tune new fstab and /boot/loader.conf according to Joerg's comments.
>
> Alas, all I have is BTX registers dump.
>
> I did also check that if I create ad2s1a instead of vinum partition, I ca=
n boot
> from that prepaired disk.
>
> BTW, Joerg did promised a bit of documentation for vinum roots, but I fai=
led
> to find it...
>
> Any suggestions? Thanks a lot in advance.

I haven't done anything in this area on release 4; as you say, J=F6rg
did that.  However, there's a problem with overwritten bootstraps
which will probably bite you under 4.x as well.  Try changing the 265
sectors to 281 and see if that fixes the problem.

Greg

--tpv1bmAa6gXA34MD

--tpv1bmAa6gXA34MD--