Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 2004 18:50:40 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Charles Oppermann <charles@coppersoftware.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why top-posting is bad

On 2004-08-19 08:39, Charles Oppermann <charles@coppersoftware.com> wrote:
> > 2. Microsoft Outlook, which unfortunately a lot of people use, doesn't
> >    encourage quoting in-text: the "original message" isn't set off by
> >    ">" marks or anything else to indicate it wasn't something you
> >    wrote. (Perhaps this is a user-settable option, I don't know.)
>
> It is a user-option in the Tools menu, Options, E-mail Options, reply and
> forwarding section.

Which, of course, defaults to "off" :-(

This is IMHO part of this ``lack of encouragement'' mentioned in the
default options are explicitly in support of the "corporate style of
posting" (which isn't very irrational, given the type of people that
Outlook was supposedly made for).  These defaults are horrible for
posting to Internet lists, but since they're defaults hey... nobody is
going to change them anyway.  At least not the sort of user who sits in
front of a keyboard and monitor and "just types".