Date:      Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:32:49 -0600
From:      Lute Mullenix <lute@cableone.net>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports or packages?

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:17:38 +1100
Rowdy <david@fielden.com.au> insisted:

{snip}

> So, has anyone else gone down this road, did you switch from
> packages to ports (with a 56K dialup Internet connection), how
> did you fare, and did you encounter any problems?
>
> tia
>
> Dave

Well Dave,

I did start using the ports back when I was locked into the 56k
dialup, and granted it takes longer than the packages, but for
me they have always worked out better for me. I did have the
advantage that I live by myself and if friends or family tried
to call and the phone was busy for long periods of time they
would send me an email. Granted it's much nicer now that I have
the cable access, but if I were forced to go back to dialup I
would continue to use the ports. As you know other than tying
up the phone line it's not a big deal if it takes a long time to
upgrade, you can still use your system like you always do. I
even used to IM when downloading, a bit of a delay but it
worked.

Ya gots to make your own decision, but I would never leave my
ports.

--
 Lute

*   Power Provided     *