Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:31:57 +0100
From:      Juergen Lock <nox@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@technologist.com>, Shigeyuki Fukushima <shige@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: bzip2 in src tree (Was Re: ports/16252: bsd.port.mk: Add bzip2 support for distribution patches)

On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 03:01:23PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000, Juergen Lock wrote:
>
> > In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0001221238240.59825-100000@picnic.mat.net> you write:
> > >A case would have to be built that bzip2 does something critical that
> > >cannot be done without bzip2.  Else, it stays as a fine port.  Heck, emacs
> > >is a fine port too, but it'll never get into the base system.
> >
> > Very true, but i can actually think of one thing were bzip2 would
> > really be useful:  to better compress the kernel on install floppies
> > so you could keep more things in it.  (like ptys and pass which
> > would make fixit more useful, or pppoe which was thrown out too
> > recently if i'm not mistaken.)
> >
> >  Btw you could probably also kgzip the loader, that would free up
> > some space too.
>
> Juergen Lock:	It's Better!
> Chuck:		Better doesn't count, only need, functionality
> 		and compatibility.
> Juergen Lock:	It's Better!
>
> How come I get the feeling that you didn't read the post?

Oh, the original poster wasn't me.  And how `critical' the
capabilities of the kernel on the install floppy are is debatable
i'd say.  (Of course you probably could make a seperate one for
pppoe installs by leaving out other things in that, and for fixit
just make your own boot floppy...  but both of these at least make
things more complicated for the newbies.)

 Regard,
--
Juergen Lock <nox.foo@jelal.kn-bremen.de>
(remove dot foo from address to reply)