Date:      Wed, 17 May 1995 14:33:59 +0200
From:      Julian Howard Stacey <jhs@vector.eikon.e-technik.tu-muenchen.de>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   SUBDIR in Makefiles - usage thereof

I suggest a minor syntax re-org of ports/Makefile & ports/*/Makefile :

Present:
	SUBDIR = this that the_other foobar
Future
	SUBDIR?=
	SUBDIR += this
	SUBDIR += that
	SUBDIR += the_other
	SUBDIR += foobar

This will enable a higher success ratio when multiple & possibly overlapping/
inconsistent patch scripts, that are are applied from time to time on local
ports dirs that aren't monolithcally & repetitively remade on the odd spare
gigabyte drive that we all have handy ;-)

This minor change buys flexibility, it's also been tried & tested before
(& is still to be seen in such files as src/Makefile)

I also propose we prepend a SUBDIR?= to allow for extra things `on the fly',
this hook would allow (eg) to have `ports in progress' that we want in the tree
for some reason, but don't want automatically compiled ... yet.

Whether this is done before or after 2.0.5 is (I imagine) Satoshi's choice.

Julian S.