Date:      Mon, 25 Jan 1999 16:24:48 +0900
From:      SHUDO Kazuyuki <shudoh@muraoka.info.waseda.ac.jp>
To:        java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TowerJ for FreeBSD

> Yep, this is where FreeBSD (and less so Linux) got the crap kicked out
> of it.  Linux is a bit better than ours for a couple of reaasons.

> 2) Our 'Green Threads' implementation uses locking that is not as
>    effecient as the Linux version.  In particular, Linux kernel's have
>    poll built in, and we emulate it (badly, but effectively) with some
>    hacks to use select.

JDK 1.1.7 for Linux/glibc use poll() and not
select(). But glibc 2.0.7 which is used on most linux
box replaces calls to poll with calls to select since
Linux kernel prior to 2.1.23 doesn't have poll().

If we'd like to use poll() of Linux kernel, we have to
use glibc 2.1 version is currently developed.

JDK for Linux/libc5 use select().

See http://www.mail-archive.com/java-linux@java.blackdown.org/msg04583.html

Kazuyuki SHUDO				Happy Hacking!
  Muraoka Lab., Grad. School of Sci. & Eng., Waseda Univ.