Date:      Thu, 2 Jan 1997 00:36:18 -0600
From:      Michael Lay <n5ptn@bga.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   IDE Problem?

Is the note about IDE support being alpha quality apply only to the CDROM's
or all IDE devices?  I have obtained the Walnut Creek 2.1.5 August 1996
CDROM set and am having problems trying to install it.  I am on an all IDE
system though.  System is:

      ??? Motherboard w/PCI and VLB  (UMC I think, but it doesn't say anywhere!)
        32MEG Ram
        Conner 400Meg HD
        Seagate ST-1090A  HD (75Meg)
        NEC (Oak) IDE CD-ROM
        SMC Ultra/16 Ethernet combo card
        1.44M diskette
        1.2M  diskette
        SVGA Card w/1Meg Ram

I start the install by booting from a boot floppy.  I get through the config
utility to the point where it starts to actually do work.  It appears to make
it through the newfs commands and fails when it goes to write the kernal to
/STAND.  Exact symptom varies a little, but centers around a message indicating
that there is no kernal to write to the disk.  At first I thought it was just
because the CD-ROM is IDE.  Then I went back and made a DOS partition and tried
to install from that.  This way, I get the same basic problem.  Interestingly,
I found different failures depending on which IDE drive the DOS partition was
on and where in relation to the BSD partition (On the Conner drive) the DOS
partition was (before or after the BSD partition).  I am beginning to wonder
if I missed an instruction to change CD's or if I just got a bad set of CD's???

If you have any ideas, I would like to know what to try next.  If you would
like me to test something in this configuration, I would be happy to give it
a try.

       Michael Lay
       N5PTN
       Pflugerville, Texas