Date:      Sun, 21 Oct 2012 18:36:25 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Arthur Chance <freebsd@qeng-ho.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pkgng and the old pkg_* programs

--------------enig54E91BA0BEF7AFF5D429677C

On 21/10/2012 18:10, Arthur Chance wrote:
> Now that portmaster officially supports pkgng I've converted to using
> it. Is there any reason to keep the old pkg_* programs around, or can I=

> delete them and add WITHOUT_PKGTOOLS to my /etc/src.conf? I'm running
> RELEASE-9.0 on amd64 and will update to REL-9.1 as soon as it arrives i=
> that matters.

There is no particularly good reason to keep pkg_tools around once
you've made the switch to pkgng.  pkgng should provide replacements for
all the pkg_tool functionality and slot into its place quite smoothly.

However, I'm not sure that there's been adequate testing on a
pkg_tools-free setup, so it is not entirely outside the bounds of
possibility that you might run into some odd problems.  If you do,
please report what happens, as that's definitely a bug that needs fixing.=

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.