Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 21:16:38 +0900
From:      "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>
To:        Chris Stenton <jacs@gnome.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Subject:   Re: loader config and the new buildkernel

Chris Stenton wrote:

> Ok I've moved over to  the new regime and used
>
> make buildkernel KERNEL=GNOME
> make installkernel KERNEL=GNOME
>
> I've created
>
> /boot/loader.conf
>
> with options
>
> kernel="/GNOME"
> bootfile="GNOME"
>
> What exactly does bootfile do other than put text in the square brackets
> in the boot up text ie
> Booting[GNOME] in ...
>
> if I leave bootfile option out I get
> Booting[kernel] in ...
>
> but it boots the right kernel. Should I be editing any other options?

Mmmmm... I was sure this had been fixed on -current, and it ought to
have been merged to stable... Lemme check...

Ok, I know wazzup.

The variable bootfile is a list of names of possible kernels to boot.
The present code is wrong in that it uses the first name of that list in
all cases, and it's even more wrong in that it doesn't even check to see
if a kernel is already loaded. See loader(8) on bootfile.

OTOH, the variable "kernel" is used exclusively by loader.4th(8), the
program which reads loader.conf(5). It indicates the name of the kernel
to be loaded.

So what happens is that loader.4th(8) loads a kernel indicated by the
variable kernel and then calls autoboot, and autoboot completely ignores
the fact that a kernel has already been loaded.

You see, autoboot was designed to be called before any kernel was
loaded, not after. So it's messages refer to the kernel it would _try_
to load at boot, if one wasn't already loaded.

Notes to self:

* Redesign loader.4th(8) to use bootfile value, and comment out the
kernel variable in defaults/loader.conf.

* Redesign loader.4th(8) to accept multiple kernel names in the variable
"kernel".

I'll leave the fixing of autoboot to someone else, though...

--
Daniel C. Sobral			(8-DCS)
dcs@newsguy.com

		<jkh> _DES: The Book of Bruce has only one sentence in it, and it says
"the actual directives of my cult are left as an exercise for the
reader. Good luck."
		<EE> jkh: does it really include the 'good luck' part?
		<jkh> EE: OK, I made that part up.
		<jkh> EE: I figured it should sound a bit more cheery than how Bruce
initially dictated it to me.