Date:      Mon, 12 Oct 1998 22:33:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Spike Gronim <spork@ix.netcom.com>
To:        DayeDreams <Ingram99@prodigy.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Basic Commands

On Mon, 12 Oct 1998, DayeDreams wrote:

> Dear FreeBSD and Users,
>
> I am new to the Unix world and am learning my way around quite quickly I think.
>
> I have learned how to move around and get into the default x-windows system, but I seek to install and set up the KDE enviroment for x-windows.
>
> I have been having some trouble setting up my tcp connection so that I may download the KDE and Netscape packages.
>
> I do have a win95 Os running on another partition, and could easily download the distrubutions from the tcp/ip connection I have set up in Win 95...but...I have no clue about how to access the other partition while running the FreeBSD Os. This is of course where the downloaded files would be and I would need to move them from partition 1(Win95) to partion 2(FreeBSD).  Is this possible?  I have no clue...but it would be nice.
>
> If I could set up my internet connection under FreeBSD...I have a good idea of how to setup these distributions via ftp.  I have sought many user guides and manuals but only end up even more confused.
>
> If there is a Guru lerking out there and you wanna pass on some of that knowledge to a newbie, I would be much appreciative.
>
> Thank you,
>
> P. M. Ingram

Hey.

	Please limit your line length to about 70/80 characters. It makes
it a lot easier to read.

	You should check out the handbook if you have it installed or
www.freebsd.org/handbook for info about PPP (you might also try
www.freebsd.org/tutorials for the Pedantic PPP Primer).

	KDE is on the 4th CD, so you should be able to type (as root)
"mount /cdrom", followed by "cd /usr/ports/x11/kde", "make" "make install"
and "make clean", which will install the KDE port.

	If you want to mount your Winblows filesystem in FreeBSD, you'll
need to use "mount_msdos /dev/*d*s* /mnt", the *'s in that being s/w
depending on SCSI or IDE disk, 0,1,2 etc. for the disk number (0 being the
first disk in the machine), and then a number for which slice (partition)
winblows resides in (0, 1, 2, but probably 0 or 1).

	Read the handbook on your machine or on www.freebsd.org.
	Get Greg Lehey's book, "The Complet FreeBSD: Second Edition" (buy
it from Walnut Creek (www.cdrom.com) or it's on one of the cd's)

	Asks us (freebsd-questions) questions.
	Read man pages. (start with "man man")

	All that and you should do fine. ;)

	-Spike Gronim
	 sporkl@ix.netcom.com

		The majority only rules those who let them.