Date:      Thu, 15 Feb 1996 12:44:10 +0800 (GMT+0800)
From:      "Miguel A.L. Paraz" <map@iphil.net>
To:        andrew@nash.pubnix.net (Andrew Webster)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RADIUS

Andrew Webster wrote:

> Is there anyone working on RADIUS support for FreeBSD so that it can be
> used as a smart terminal server?

Yes, I am going to put some work into this.

I already have the Livingston radiusd with the SLIP/CSLIP/PPP
patches installed, plus some other patches of my own.  This
already works with a Portmaster that I borrowed, for reference
purposes.

I also have the RADIUS client login for Linux, and will study how it
can be nicely injected into the BSD login - replacing
the getpwent() call with a RADIUS authentication request.  This Linux
code does not support RADIUS accounting; I plan to put that in
by taking it backwards from the server code.

Along this line, I previously asked for suggestions on good
multiport cards to use for FreeBSD.  I also plan to stick a
sync serial board to make the system a one-box solution
for ISPs.

I would appreciate advice on how to use such a system where
user accounts are divided between different boxes.  Would
NIS/NIS+ do it?  Or perhaps, a distributed RADIUS system
like in the (complicated) Merit radiusd?

Any suggestions or code are appreciated!
--
miguel a.l. paraz -- map@iphil.net -- http://www.iphil.net/user/map/
                     iphil communications, makati city, philippines