Date:      	Sun, 14 Jan 1996 13:38:47 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Bruce Bauman <boot@mosquito.com>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: syslog.conf questions

On Sun, 14 Jan 1996, Bruce Bauman wrote:

>  We are a small ISP using a Livingston Portmaster attached to a couple
>  of FreeBSD machines. We are extremely pleased with our setup -
>  everything works really well. But, I have a question about syslog.conf.
>
>  We get many lines in our /var/log/messages of the form:
>
>  Jan 14 15:55:03 pm1 dialnet: port S3 connection succeeded dest dial16.mosquito.com
>
>  How can we cause these to not be written to the logfile?
>  Is there a way to capture lines of the form:
>
>  Jan 14 15:55:33 pm1 dialnet: port S6 jsmith.PPP login failed
>
>  but ignore lines which are just successful connections? The documentation isn't
>  really clear on this.

  You need to look at /etc/syslog.conf and the man pages.

  You need to determine if the PM's log messages at different levels
(ERROR, or NOTICE), and then you can use /etc/syslog.conf to filter them.

  It doesn't make a big deal.  I've used PM's before, and just ignored
all the syslog'ing that they do.

Tom