Date:      Sat, 8 Jun 2002 03:46:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hiten Pandya <hitmaster2k@yahoo.com>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-ia64@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some help needed for booting ia64 under SKI/NUE

--- Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@xcllnt.net> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 07, 2002 at 07:09:24PM +0100, Hiten Pandya wrote:
> >
> > I recently posted a message to this list saying that I could'nt cross
> > build but now I am able to after following Marcel's instructions.  The
> > problem I have now is that I dont know how to get ski to load either
> > skiload or the kernel, and when I try to, it dumps core. :(  Although
> > this is my first attempt.
>
> You should normally be able to copy both skiload and a kernel to the
> same directory, run ski as:
>
> 	xski skiload
>
> from within that directory and type "boot kernel".
>
> Can you describe what you do?

As far as I know, I have done the same thing using two different approaches:

  o xski skiload
  o ski skiload

But the problem is, it provides me with an error saying "Unknown OS ABI (9)"
or something like that, and it errors out.  The following are the commands
I used to build the skiload, and the whole ia64-world:

make world TARGET_ARCH=ia64 TARGET=ia64 -DNOSHARE -DNOINFO -DNOGAMES \
MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/c2/ia64 DESTDIR=/c2/build -DCPUTYPE=itanium

(the above make command made world perfectly)

make kernel KERNCONF=SKI TARGET=ia64 -DNO_MODULES=yes

This also made the kernel perfectly without problems; and I also checked if
the resulting object files, and binaries were ia64 ELF types; and fortunately
they were (file output was given in original post).

After trying the above commands and gaining failure, and also trying to find
some reasonable docs on SKI and failing; I tried to use 'romload' in SKI to
load skiload, but that when run dumps core, although I am sure that is not
the correct way of doing it (using romload).  ;)

Is there something wrong I have done in this.

NOTE:  This ia64 world was made in a fresh "GCC-3" environment; and I am
guessing it could be because of that, but I am not sure that this would be
the problem.

Help is very appreciated.
Thanks in Advance.

  -- Hiten