Date:      Mon, 24 Mar 1997 17:23:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Stefan Molnar <stefan@exis.net>
To:        Joe Greco <jgreco@solaria.sol.net>
Cc:        spork <spork@super-g.com>, richard@pegasus.com, freebsd-isp@freeBSD.ORG, freebsd-hardware@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: reliable modems?

> I'm sitting about 30 meters from a room where there are TWELVE HUNDRED
> Courier modems.  A local ISP used a bit of creativity and developed a
> nifty way to set up arrays of 120 Courier modems, complete with phone,
> power, and network wiring for the four Portmasters on each array.

> It's a bit scary to see 120 modems all powered by a single step-down
> transformer (10 identical racks).  The modems kick off a bit of heat,
> too.  On the other hand, it's very easy to debug, and is a relatively
> inexpensive per-port solution to the problem.

We are doing the exact same thing.  I think they are cooler looking with
a big old transformer do it all.

> It's quite impressive to see a telco demarc for 1200 analog lines.

That I would like to see, but I will stick with all the fiber lines.

Stefan Molnar                  Team Exis.Net
stefan@exis.net                   Member EFF
                                   Team OS/2
east-coast-ambassador@soda.CSUA.Berkeley.EDU