Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 1996 20:20:52 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark Bernard <surfmwb@nhr.com>
To:        hackers@Freebsd.org
Subject:   unable to mount /

I currently have release 2.0 loaded on a system I use for an internet email
server.  All of a sudden today while a remote session was logged in trying
to telnet out to another it reported no available network sessions
available..while being the only one logged in...

Then I went to the console to log in and no matter which of my logins
including root would allow access.  All reported invalid username.

Unfortunately, I had no other option that I know of so I powered down the
system thinking I could then fsck the system and go about my
business..instead the kernel runs properly until it reaches mounting the /.
It reports the / was unmounted improperly and locks up.

What can be done without a reload, if anything?  An what can I do to make
the reload easier of Release 2.1?  I've never done a complete load before.

Thanks for your help.
Mark