Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 08:33:52 +0100
From:      =?iso-8859-1?Q?Jukka_Simil=E4?= <jukka.simila@sveg.se.sykes.com>
To:        'BSD Blood' <bsdblood@hotmail.com>, mlduke@concentric.net, freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How's the term 'Port' used?

wrong, I guess.
You can make a package from any program in ports tree by doing "make
package".
AFAIK this is how the packages are done in the first place.
on the other hand, you cannot extract port skeleton (the directory that
contains
information about the program, and installation locations and such) from a
package.