Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 20:59:58 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to select media for PCMIA combo network card?

> > Next I tried the latest PAO boot floppy.  It did recognize the
> > card and set it up with the ed0 driver, as expected.  I started
> > the emergency holographic shell and was able to ifconfig the card
> > and so forth.  So far so good.
>
> Ok.  Note that this is bypassing the code in sysinstall that's meant
> to do that.

OK, but it shouldn't matter, should it?  The reason I tried it
manually is because I wanted to make sure it would work before
committing to the FreeBSD installation.  I didn't want it to wipe out
the Windows 95 installation that came on the system if it was going to
fail, since I might need Windows 95 temporarily in order to run the
card setup software and make it work.

> There's no standard mechanism for selecting the media on an NE2000
> clone.  The Accton cards that I rave about do it automagically (you
> can swap between the two with impunity, and it Just Works).
>
> Is there any sort of "DOS setup" program with the card?

Yes, there's a setup program that you're supposed to boot under DOS to
install drivers for Windows 95.  There's also a program for selecting
the media.  But it won't run because it's not finding the right
drivers.  I guess I have to do the Windows 95 setup for it first.  I
was trying to avoid that because it's a 12-step process that took them
two pages to describe.

It says on the box that the card "automatically senses media type
and polarity" but that's obviously not quite 100% true. :-(

John