Date:      Tue, 13 Sep 2005 08:48:33 -0400
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: usb advice

Jeff D. Hamann wrote:
> When I do connect directly, I would love to be able to
> simply plug in a mouse and keyboard into the two ports on the front of the
> machine (automount?) and then yank them out when I'm done with my chores.
> Is this even possible?

Sure, I hot-plug USB keyboards into the front panel USB connections of Dell
PowerEdge and HP DL360/DL370 rack-mount boxes regularly.  Works fine, so long
as the machine does not also have a PS/2 keyboard attached.

> More importantly, I would like to utilize a USB hard drive connection
> (maybe one of those hard drive cases for laptops) for creating a nightly
> backup of the data on my hard drive. I could store much more data than
> either tape drive of DVD drive and could rotate a couple of disks for
> additional security.

Tape is significantly more reliable over the long term than today's hard
drives.  Given that LTO and sDLT will go up to 300 GB per tape (double that
with compression), capacity alone should not disqualify tape from your
consideration.

> Can FreeBSD handle this or would I seimply need to
> install the addtional hard drive within the machine itself and use it as a
> backup? This isn't really an option since the backup would need to go off
> site (vault storage).

FreeBSD works okay with USB mass storage, although the firewire support seems
to be a little better/faster.

> I get the feeling that USB support on FreeBSD isn't grand and I'm working
> with FreeBSD 6.0BETA4 right now and when I tried to automount a USB flash
> drive, the machine rebooted when I pulled the drive out of the port.

Don't do that.  Always unmount a filesystem before yanking the underlying hardware.

--
-Chuck