Date:      Sat, 16 Mar 1996 10:47:50 -0600 (CST)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        map@iphil.net (Miguel A.L. Paraz)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: csh hanging around after disconnect

> I wrote:
>
> > > How is this done?  Is this a separate daemon, or an option to compile
> > > in these daemons?
>
> Joe Greco wrote:
>
> > It's something that doesn't exist but would be implemented by adding a
> > little code to all the networking daemons.  Particularly the daemons without
> > timeouts..
>
> Looks like a bigger task than it should be.  Perhaps this should
> be more configurable... or compilable with a #define, ISP -
> "define -DISP if you're running the daemons on an ISP machine."

Actually, people may frown on this, but I'd sorta like a way to define the
use of keepalives as a systemwide default..

> The effect is the machine runs out of ptys.  I would want to
> install that, but this is a client machine that runs remotely,
> and I don't want to take chances unless I'm on-site.

:-)

> > > Another way - can we looked through the logged in users at regular
> > > intervals and find out who's disconnected?  You could compare this
> > > against the list of logged in users ('show sessions'), but
> > > we'd have to differentiate from users who are telnetted in from
> > > somewhere else...
>
> > No, that gets to be very difficult very quickly.
>
> Yes... is there any other way?

Not really.

> On another client box, a Linux machine that did the PPP by itself,
> I made a script that kills all user processes when the user logs out.
> Drastic... but stray user processes were screwing up the
> accounting.

That only worked coincidentally...  you had just the right circumstances.  A
more general problem is, for example, a busy news server...  you don't have
folks logging in and out.

... Joe

Solaria Public Access UNIX - Milwaukee, WI			   414/546-7968