Date:      Thu, 15 May 1997 00:39:30 -0700
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@sns.com>
To:        Abbas AmiriChimeh <aamirich@ichips.intel.com>, questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        aamirich@ichips.intel.com
Subject:   Re: Mouse Driver

At 04:58 PM 5/11/97 -0700, Abbas AmiriChimeh wrote:
>Dear Customer Support Agent:
>
>   Recently, I bought FreeBSD CD-Rom and installed it on my machine. I
have a
>Pentium-Pro 150MHz with a Venus Motherboard, ps/2 type mouse connector. I
have
>difficulties with installing the mouse. I got a ps/2 Logitech Mouseman. When
>system reboots and probes the hardware on my machine, it reports: "mse0
IRQ 5
>0X23c, mouse not probed", and as the result, I can't install my mouse in
>FreeX86 setup. Would you please guide me how to install my mouse? Thanks.
>

>Regards,
>
>Abbas Amiri

You don't want mse0 (that's for a bus mouse), you want psm0 for the PS/2
mouse. As for XFree86...

If you've got FreeBSD 2.2 it by default (right?) loads moused so you have
have a mouse cursor in the text-mode console. However, moused swallows all
mouse input so your mouse won't be seen by XFree86. BUT, moused takes the
mouse input and outputs it again to /dev/mouse using the Mouse Systems
protocol.

If you've got something previous to FreeBSD 2.2, moused isn't loaded by
default and you just tell XFree86 that you've got a PS/2 mouse on /dev/psm0.

--Ludwig Pummer
ludwigp@sns.com     ICQ UIN: 692441    http://chipweb.home.ml.org
             http://www.sns.com/~ludwigp  <--^-- Updated 04/18/97
PGP Key & Geek Code available on web page