Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:07:40 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@FreeBSD.ORG (Satoshi Asami)
To:        hoek@hwcn.org
Cc:        obrien@NUXI.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, hoek@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/lang/glibstdc++28 Makefile

 * > +.if !target(generate-plist)
 * > +generate-plist:
 * > +	@if [ ! -f ${PLIST} -o ! -f ${COMMENT} -o ! -f ${DESCR} ]; then ${ECHO} "** Missing package files for ${PKGNAME}."; exit 1; fi
 *
 * I'm not sure this is quite right.  For example, the ilu port
 * creates its whole PLIST in the post-install target.  To make the
 * port work with the current bsd.port.mk, I added
 *
 * TMPPLIST=	${PLIST}
 *
 * Which won't work with the new change.

That's not right.  The PLIST should just be generated before
generate-plist is run.

We decided to stick it in post-install to give people chances to
change with the generated file (${TMPPLIST}).  Maybe we can move it
back to after post-install and add a new target ("post-generate-plist"?)
for fiddling with it.  Eek.

Personally I think it can just be solved by having ilu generate PLIST
in do-install.  All you need to do is to change "post-install:" to
"do-install:" and add a "cd ${WRKSRC}; ${MAKE} install" in front of
that target, right?

 * I think just keeping the test in fake-pkg: is enough, although I
 * do have patches that change "generate-plist:" to "${TMPPLIST}:"
 * and make fake-pkg depend on "${TMPPLIST}".  This is kinda cool
 * and also should solve the problem (although writing
 * generate-plist target that forces plist generation iff TMPPLIST
 * and PLIST refer to different files was tricky).

Patch patch! :)

 * I'm not sure this is a good idea...

Yeah, I'm not so sure either.  Never mind.

Satoshi