Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 15:16:08 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Gordon Tetlow <gordont@bluemtn.net>
To:        Ken Smith <kensmith@cse.Buffalo.EDU>
Cc:        <hubs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: We seriously need a cleanup on ftp-master

Disclaimer: I don't run a FreeBSD mirror. With corporate 'right-sizing' (I
hate that term), my aspirations of running a mirror got shot when our bw
was cut. Ah well.

On Mon, 7 May 2001, Ken Smith wrote:

> > From owner-freebsd-hubs@FreeBSD.ORG  Mon May  7 17:51:53 2001
> >
> > I simply think it's inconvenient for mirror operators to host bits that
> > are not obtained even one-tenth of 1% of the time as the newest
> > releases/packages.  Not everyone has 50GB of disk space to dedicate
> > to FreeBSD, and I don't see a reason to expect that.  :)
> >

> There is another advantage as well.  Even if I've got 50Gb of disk
> space to contribute to the cause I can set up mirroring of the primary
> tree every night and the [painful] archive section weekly if there is
> a clean separation between the two.

I think this is the best solution. I like the idea of a front-line, this
is where we get the latest and greatest set of servers.

Then we could make something like archive.freebsd.org that would be much
lower bandwidth that mirrors the /pub/FreeBSD-archive set. The advantage
is most people will want to use the front-line ftp.freebsd.org. And for
that you need about 10-15GB of fast disks while the archive would need
probably about 50GB, but could use much slower disk since it won't be in
such high demand.

Thoughts?

-gordon