Date:      Tue, 16 Sep 1997 08:17:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
Cc:        Paul Griffith <paulg@interlog.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Advice Needed - Unix System Admin

On Mon, 15 Sep 1997, Annelise Anderson wrote:

> On Sun, 14 Sep 1997, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
> > There are very different flavors of Unix, that are fairly distinct.  It's
> > probably fair to say that the top level breakdown is between the AT&T SVR4
> > type, and the BSD4.4 type.  You have to understand that they borrow from
> > each other heavily, and often in the borrowing get things badly screwed
> > up.
> >
> > There are a plethora of differences in other versions, but the largest
> > differences are between those 2 I listed above, and previous versions of
> > those systems.
> >
> > You _should_ learn at least one Unix from both of those categories, but do
> > one at a time.  Choose one to get reasonably good at, and don't move to
> > another until you can do basic emergency recovery (playing with disks and
> > mount tools and processes).  Porting software is one hell of a good way to
> > learn the programming differences, but probably not so good at teaching
> > sys admin-ship.
>
> So, FreeBSD is a good choice for the BSD4.4 type, a point I have sometimes
> made to computer science students.  But what's a good SVR4 choice--any
> free ones?  Any versions of Linux that qualify?

This is a somewhat "religious" type question, in that my answer is
probably more my own opinion than a reliable statement of fact, but I will
offer this:

Linux is based largely on the SVR4 sematics, but with significant
extensions.  SCO Unix, which is a popular version, is likewise salted with
various modifications.  All these modifications reduce the coherence to a
true SVR4 standard, but don't reduce their ability to provide a learning
platform.  Linux would be a good choice, with the proviso that an open
attitude is kept on what is really SVR4, and what is extension.

Summing up, I think Linux provides a good learning platform, but the
student has to be cautioned about heavy reliance on some features that
might not be universally available.  I think things like not writing shell
scripts in bash (prefer the more unversally available sh) would be an
example.  I'm not knocking bash, just noting it's not always available on
a customer's machine, so it serves as a poor platform for portable
scripts.

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |