Date:      Sat, 15 Dec 2018 11:38:57 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: flavor set to python 3.6 but still getting python 2.7

--bBQ1bklMxV9bLL9nLI6jmXgbfysFmqOoS
From: Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

--sJo6f8dICWMQBHWa1ZAZ7xz9lQXhf1KYc

On 15/12/2018 00:24, David Mehler wrote:
> I'm running 11.2, i've got python 3.6 set in DEFAULT_VERSIONS of
> make.conf for both python and python3 I thought i'd just be getting
> python 3.6 and it's package, but a a port is pulling in python 2.7. Is
> this right?

Which port is pulling in python-2.7?  A very few ports are still
incompatible with python-3.6 and those would cause python-2.7 to be
pulled in.  That shouldn't be a problem, as you can have parallel
python-2.7 and python-3.6 installs very readily.

On the other hand, if the port that is pulling in python-2.7 is meant to
be python-3.6 capable, then it's probably something in your setup that
needs modification.  How exactly are you installing ports / pkgs?  If
you are building your own pkg repo, then you'll need to make sure
everything that depends on python is rebuilt.  poudriere will do this
rebuild automatically.  Pkgs that depend directly on python should have
a name change from py27-* or *-py27 to py36-* or *-py36 and will need to
be reinstalled -- on the whole pkg(8) should mostly be able to handle
that automatically, but it may need some things to be force updated to
help it along.

	Cheers,

	Matthew