Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 2000 12:03:21 +0800
From:      Christopher Hall <hsw@acm.org>
To:        rdmurphy@vt.edu
Cc:        Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fatal trap 12?

In message <14905.31282.523466.649499@knock.econ.vt.edu>,
  "Russell D. Murphy Jr." writes:

>My machine has locked up solid and rebooted a few times lately; the
>most recent time I managed to get this from the console (copied by
>hand - I believe it's accurate, but no guarantees):

.....cut

>The machine is a Dell with an Adaptec 2940, one Quantum Viking hard
>drive, and one Fujitsu (external drive in Sun packaging) hard drive.
>
>Thanks for any light you can shed on this -- and guidance you can
offer.

>Russ

I had similar experiences last week, lockups, the computer had
rebooted overnight and lots of "SCB list:" messages in
/var/log/messages.

My set up is:

ahc0: <Adaptec 2940 Ultra SCSI adapter>
aic7880: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

Internal:
<QUANTUM FIREBALL SE4.3S PJ0A>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<QUANTUM FIREBALL1080S 1Q09>       at scbus0 target 1 lun 0 (pass1,da1)
<SONY CD-ROM CDU625 1.0r>          at scbus0 target 2 lun 0 (pass2,cd0)

External: (separate boxes)
<FUJITSU M2952S-512 0124>          at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass3,da2)
<FUJITSU MCD3130SS 0050>           at scbus0 target 4 lun 0 (pass4,da3)

The Fujitsu M2952S external box was disconnected on 2000-12-12 and no crashes
since.

on 2000-12-14 a PR: "kern/23536: HDD HITACHI DK32 broken tagged
queueing" which on first glance has lots of similar looking SCB List
numbers and wondered if that was related.

Just seems curious that you also have Quantum and Fujitsu and have a
similar crash to me.  Until now I thought that the drive had failed.

Maybe its worth turning off tagged queueing and trying again.

---
Christopher Hall <atheist@generalresources.com>