Date:      Thu, 4 Jun 1998 17:52:13 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@nvl.virginia.edu>
To:        "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Linux is UNIX, and FreeBSD is not?"

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Jason C. Wells wrote:

> >That article essentially says that there are efforts --
> >supported by The Open Group -- to get Linux the "UNIX98"
> >brand.
>
> This is a total vent but I have to get this off my chest.
>
> The Open Group: Now there is a contradiction in terms. Call my observation
> myopic if you like. TOG seems to be engaged in the process of ENCUMBERING
> any thing they can get their hands on. I really don't like anything I read
> from them. I can't understand why orgs line up to get some stupid brand
> from them for there OS.

	Amen, bother!

> Special Offer - This month only!  You can name FreeBSD "Jason Wells" if
> you pay me a fat royalty for doing absolutely nothing. In the mean time,
> you better start paying me a fat royalty for the Free GUI from MIT you
> have been using all along. I don't care how much you helped me develop it
> in the past.

	I'll see what my pointy-haired boss thinks.  Whom should the
check be made out to?

> Funny that Mr. Torvalds would chide TOG for it's handling of X and now we
> may see TOG branded Linux. That is funny (I am not laughing). Licensing
> makes for strange bedfellows.

	There is one big difference between LINUX getting the brand and
TOG's handling of X11R6.4.  The latter is only available from TOG.  This
is starting to put X11 in the same boat as Motif, another bogus
proprietary standard.

	I don't see branding as much of a danger for LINUX, hypocritical
or not.  On the contrary, it will make pencil-pushing MIS managers topple
more easily when techies under them push for a non-bigname solution.

	Adrian
--
adrian@virginia.edu        ---->>>>| If I were stranded on a desert island, and
System Administrator         --->>>| I could only have one OS for my computer,