Date:      Thu, 17 Oct 1996 18:56:58 +0300 (EET DST)
From:      Narvi <narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee>
To:        David Greenman <dg@Root.COM>
Cc:        Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

On Thu, 17 Oct 1996, David Greenman wrote:

> >3.0R? wouldn't it be a too high increment in the version number? In that
> >way we will soon be at FreeBSD 4.3 (and 4.4) release. How about 2.4? It
> >would allow enough of growing place for 2.2 to evolve into ultrastable
> >2.3 (if it stays around for that long). As we seem to be using numbers of
> >the x.y.z kind we should think too much about x. Or are we going to
> >undergo some *MAJOR* change?
>
>    SMP.

SMP, kernel multithreading, scheduling classes, ELF, etc. But as I come
to think about it will SMP have to wait until 3.0 or will it be
introduced in some 2.x series?  It seems 2.2 took such a long time. How
long will it take until 3.0 comes out? As long? Less time? More time? I
am afraid at least as much. Not that calling the next tree 2.4 would make
much difference, I just dislike *huge* jumps in numbering. I would like
2.4 or (which sound better,) 2.5. But that's my personal taste.

	Sander

PS. Tough it would be cool to sit in front of the monitor and watch the web
based kernel perfomance monitor show how much time the kernel spends in
which threads.