Date:      Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:02:18 -0500
From:      Dave Glowacki <dglo@SSEC.WISC.EDU>
To:        dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
Cc:        "Nguyen HM (Mike)" <NguyenHM@ucarb.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Threads across processors

> "Nguyen HM (Mike)" <NguyenHM@ucarb.com> writes:
> > Actually, it would make sense, since MacOS X used to be Rhapsody which
> > used to be NEXTSTEP, and I do remember that some time ago Apple
> > incorporated large parts of NetBSD into the codebase (back when it was
> > still Rhapsody).
>
> I'm not saying it doesn't make sense. I'm just saying that one
> shouldn't believe anything on macosrumors.com unless it is confirmed
> by a more authoritative source.

I only quoted macosrumors because they claimed to have updated their
site recently ... I haven't been following the Mac world for quite a
few years (even though I've owned Macs since '85 and Macs outnumber
Unix systems in my house.)

What's a good site for up-to-date info on MacOS?

The Apple Mac OS X site provides a link labeled as "Sources to some of the
software found in MacOS X Server's BSD subsystem", which includes a .tgz
archive for bash 2.05 [see ftp://ftp.apple.com/devworld/Rhapsody/Sources/]

The Apple site also has a MacOS X/Rhapsody FAQ which says:
  Will the UNIX command-line be part of Mac OS X? No.
  Mac OS X does include a POSIX-style kernel, providing most of the system
  services required by Unix utilities.
  We expect that a BSD command-line environment will be available for use on
  top of Mac OS X, though it may come from a third party.
  [http://developer.apple.com/macosx/server/rhapfaq/2.html]

and in another place says
  The UNIX command line will not be necessary, but will be available for
  those who wish to take advantage of it.
  [http://developer.apple.com/macosx/server/rhapfaq/11.html]

All this looks to be a couple of months old at least, so maybe even
Apple doesn't know what the truth is (and is that really so surprising? :-)

This is pretty far from any sort of FreeBSD discussion now, so I'll only
reply to followups via email...