Date:      Wed, 3 Nov 1999 18:03:33 +0100
From:      Michel TALON <talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   init

I have a strange problem with respect to kill -HUP 1
In fact i have commented out mgetty on /dev/cuaa1 in /etc/ttys
and run kill -HUP 1 in order to reload ttys. Even if i do
killall mgetty this program is still continually respawned.
It seems that init does not reload ttys when receiving HUP,
contrary to what man page says and what is usual. Is this a known bug
I am running
FreeBSD 3.3-STABLE #0: Mon Sep 20

Moreover i have a second problem related to this one. I wanted to test
a modem (of rockwell type) under ppp. When i issue term at the
ppp prompt, the modem seems irresponsive. For example atz gives nothing.
However under minicomm the modem correctly answers the at commands
and dials. Finally i have another modem (US robotics sportster) which
works correctly under ppp. I thought that the modem was confused
by mgetty, so tried to disable it and found the above strange behaviour.
I would be happy to get some help.

Thanks

--

Michel TALON