Date:      Wed, 23 Aug 1995 05:01:59 +1000
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Making a FreeBSD NFS server

>> No, I mean the fix for ufs in -current.
>>

>	Do you mean that "-o async" in current is really async now ?

The commit mail said exactly what was fixed:

	"Honor -async mount option when doing the inode update."

The -async mount option still isn't honored for directory updates.
For creat() there used to be 2 sync writes, one for the inode and
one for the directory.  Now there is one sync write for the directory,
so creat() is about twice as fast with "-o async" as before.  The
other times in my benchmarks show that it is still about 4 times
slower under FreeBSD-2.2-current than it would be if all writes were
asynchronous.

Bruce