Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 15:27:58 -0500
From:      "Mike" <mike@sixpak.net>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   FreeBSD 4.2 and X (now moving to the Ports system)

 Well this is a production box so I'm perfectly content to wait for
"official
 upgrades" versus playing around with the kernel on a daily basis.  So
 basically the only thing that needs to be "kept up to date" is the ports
 tree?  No sources anywhere?

 CVSup is the one to use for a constant net connection right?

 Man, this whole box has been an experiment and a half.  I did such a poor
 job (or too good depending on how you look at it) on my firewall that I
 couldn't even ping localhost :)  I've resolved that but somehow only root
 can ping and normal users can't touch it.  I'm wanting to blow the whole
 thing out and start over, but then again, ya learn more by fixing things
 that doin it the MS way.

 I still have DNS and pop3 to install.  At least the web server can wait :)
 (DNS is crucial though, hope this little "Complete FreeBSD" book is right
on
 the money.  It appears to have been written for an earlier version of BSD,
 but at least I know it still references Bind 8.